The exhibition will be held at Sally Mitchell’s gallery, housed in an old Posting Inn, which historically stabled teams of horses to replace tired sets for stagecoaches and mail coaches.
A wonderful 18th Century building it is large enough to have a Museum Of The Horse on the first floor. The Heritage Award winning museum has also been internationally recognised and offers eight large rooms packed with unusual items spanning 600 BC to the 20th Century. It represents a large part of Britain’s social history so is of interest to non-horse folk as well as the serious equestrian.
The gallery is large and there will be more than 100 paintings on show with pictures from some of the leading SEA full members including Malcolm Coward HSEA, Rosemary Welch SEA, Barry Peckham HSEA, Glynis Mills HSEA and Debbie Dunbar SEA. Entries are also expected from Associates, Friends and hopefully new artists too who have previously not considered exhibiting.
The main annual awards will be made at the SEA Private View from 2pm on Sunday 24th September.
For an invitation to the SEA Private View on 24th September please register for the SEA newsletter.
For those travelling a long way to visit the exhibition there is a charming coffee shop on the premises where light meals and cream teas can be taken.
The gallery has its own free car park behind the gallery and the venue is very easily reached, just one minute off the A1 Northbound and three minutes off the Southbound. Travelling by train it is only 90 minutes from London and 15 minutes by taxi from Retford station. For those with smarter transport it is five minutes from Gamston airfield.
- Open daily from 10am to 5pm, the exhibition closes on Saturday 7th October at 5pm
- Find out more about Sally Mitchell >>
The main annual awards will be presented at the Horse in Art Private View. Awards are made at the discretion of the body presenting them and if entries meet the requirements outlined. The 2017 Horse in Art Awards will include:
- The Denford Stud Best in Show – £1,000 first prize generously supported by Denford Stud.
- The Robert Fountain Best Original Print Award – £200 for the best original print kindly supported by Robert Fountain.
- The British Sporting Art Trust Best Sculpture Award – £250 for the best sculpture kindly supported by the British Sporting Art Trust (BSAT).
- The Cuneo Medal – Medal and £500 for the most meritorious group of works by a Full Member.
- The Sally Mitchell Fine Art Award – £100, and 100 cards printed with the chosen image, for the best work suitable for a Christmas card kindly supported by Sally Mitchell Fine Arts Ltd.
- The Hounds Magazine Best Hunting Picture Award – An annual subscription to Hounds Magazine and a double-page feature in the publication kindly supported by Michael and Linda Sagar of Hounds Magazine.
- The Arabian Magazine Best Depiction of an Arabian Horse Award – A feature in the Arabian Magazine for the best depiction of an Arabian horse in any medium including sculpture.
- The International Thoroughbred Magazine Best Depiction of a Thoroughbred Award – Magazine front cover commission for the best depiction of a Thoroughbred in any medium including sculpture kindly supported by the International Thoroughbred Magazine.
- The Hollyland Trophy for Best Depiction of Coloured or Spotted Horses – a trophy presented on behalf of Wendy Campbell, Hollyland Stud.
- The John King Young Artist Award – A sculpture by Debbie Burt HSEA and the winning work exhibited for the duration of the Horse in Art Annual Exhibition – in collaboration with the Pony Club.
- Monday 24th July – digital selection results available online
- Sunday 20th August – Handing in Day
- Saturday 23rd September – exhibition opens
- Sunday 24th September – Private View and Annual Awards presentations
- Saturday 7th October – exhibition closes
@EquineArt #SEA #HorseInArt @horsemuseum @TuxfordHorse @DOGART_dot_com @smfineart